Thursday, November 09, 2006

Wish List, Part 2

Two years ago, I was so shaken by the election that I bought and ate 2 lbs of peppermint bark within 48 hours of the polls closing.

A lot has changed. For one thing, I now live in a climate that makes eating even 2 oz of peppermint bark a serious challenge. Really, you can't eat chocolate in 85 degree weather. It can't be done.

I've been thinking about it, and I've decided I only really need three things:

1. Fix the health care system so Michael can get some kind of practical insurance that doesn't cost $450 a month.

2. Stop holding people for 24-36 months without an open and just review of the evidence against them. Also, generally, undo the habeas corpus wrecking of the last 5 years.

3. Legislate the mandatory distribution of birth control and Plan B to interested women, regardless of the pharmacist's religious beliefs.

Michael adds, and I see no reason to disagree:

4. Don't frickin' privatize social security.

Cool? I'm not even remotely qualified to suggest a solution for Iraq, so I'll leave that to more experienced folks to fix. I don't need impeachments, or smack downs or pissing matches. (Okay, maybe a tiny smack down on pro-life pharmcists. Like stripping them of their licenses or forcing them to become nurse's aides. But not more than that. I mean, let's not make them wear punitive t-shirts or headbands. Although we could. Let's have some dignity.)

So if I could just have those four things, that would be awesome.

No comments: