Friday, March 21, 2008

Occupational Hazards

I've been tortured lately by the spectacularly butter/vanilla aroma that wafts off even a very small amount of 21-year-old Black Maple Hill bourbon. Tortured because a) it smells AMAZINGLY GOOD and b) I'm not much for on-the-job drinking.

Add to this that 21-year-old Black Maple Hill bourbon is necessarily a limited edition item, and it's currently sold out throughout most of North America, and I have a real problem on my hands.

But thanks to the delightful gentlemen at Fireside Liquors, we are now the proud owners of 17-year-old Eagle Rare bourbon, which is maybe not EXACTLY as good as BMH, but still very, very good indeed. It's like taking little high octane sips of essence of a delicious, if slightly spicy creme brulee.

This leads to me to wonder how I can track down a bottle of the other whiskey I really like -- Bruichladdich, which some kind friends (hi, Kate & Jon!) were kind enough to bring for us when they went to Scotland some years ago. My memory fails me, but I think it was about 12 years old, and it bloomed like a rose with about three drops of water.

No comments: