Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Still Can't Stop Blogging

Celebrated the conclusion of two years and four months of graduate school with the World's Strongest Gin and Tonic and a viewing of the long-anticipated "Battlestar Galactica: Razor," which had been waiting on my Tivo for just this moment.

BSG has been on hiatus for six months or more at this point, and I guess maybe that's why I had forgotten that the show Does Not Eff Around.

Holy Crap. I was literally putting it on pause every couple of minutes, just to brace myself for the next wave of hot hell.

After that, MG came out and we started to watch "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." I will say, the film has some obstacles to overcome. For one, we know there's treasure, so the long first act leading up to the moment when Ol' Man Prospector does his ridiculous scampering dance of We Done Found Us Some Gold! was hard to get through.

Then, like the world's slowest moving reality show, the prosperity starts to change Hardened Tough Guy Played by Humphrey Bogart, as he becomes suspicious and cold-hearted. Or possibly he suffered a concussion in that mine collapse. But then how to explain his strange return to sanity when it comes time to leave?

We hit pause and went to bed at the 1 hour, 20 minute mark, with still 55 minutes of "Sierra Madre" left. I, for one, am not looking forward to the almost-hour-long denouement. I have seen enough episodes of "The Twilight Zone" to know that when three guys strike it rich in the Mexican desert, with almost an hour to go until credits, they're gonna learn that Money Can't Save Your Life When You Do Battle with the Elements.

And that's not even getting into the non-logic of the total stranger who insists they let him mine with them, or the Bandito who, thanks to some racist characterization, was dumb enough to think the miners would sell THEIR ONLY WEAPONS to guys who would clearly SHOOT THEM and TAKE BACK THE MONEY right after the sale.

Aye Carumba indeed, my portly racist stereotype.

1 comment:

Mollie said...

I suppose it's bad form to pimp your own blog and all, but I have to commiserate, because I too found Sierra Madre slow and way less entertaining than I had been led to expect. I complained all about it here . And I say there's no shame in not finishing...