Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Not A Serious Problem

The last time I went to the Funky Gourmet Food Shoppe (tm), I bought a bottle of something called Blood Orange Bitters.

I had some vague notion that Blood Orange Bitters is an ingredient in champagne cocktails, and it occurred to me that once my cold cleared up, we might finally bust open that long-neglected flagon of New Year's Eve ambrosia. I also thought this might be a way to perk up the stuff the day after it's opened.

(Between MG and myself, we can put away about 8 oz. of wine per 24 hour window. It helps that we have an elaborate pump/cork system which really does a pretty good job, but it's not perfect, especially when sparkling wine is involved. And who likes to throw out champagne? Answer: Not me.)

It turns out, yes, a sugar cube soaked in Blood Orange Bitters is the main ingredient in champagne cocktails. And also that champagne cocktails are AWESOME.

So now I'm really boned, because my new favorite drink only comes in $35 bottles that must be consumed in the next 48 hours, or those wee splits, which are $10 less, but, to quote the ancient Roman philosopher, have hardly any booze in them.

1 comment:

Minjenah said...

Hi I found someone who stole your content:

http://www.scottvankleeck.com/2008/12/28/not-a-serious-problem/