Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Rejection

It gives me no pleasure to say this, but the world does not need another meticulous dramatic English language adaptation of "Persuasion."

I am very sorry to put it so plainly, but really! I cannot see that this newest arrival has any advantages over the 1997 installment. Indeed, I find Anthony Stewart Head the most agreeable performer, and generally speaking, I do enjoy Miss Austen's works.

But to cast aside the earlier version with Mr. Ciaran Hinds? It is not to be borne! And to what end? It is a truth universally acknowledged among readers of "Persuasion" that Captain Wentworth is a sailor, a profession that cuts up a man's youth and vigour most horribly. Just so! Mr. Hinds is the very picture of a seafaring fellow, his face the colour of mahogany, rough and rugged to the last degree. (All this quite aside from the gentleman's efforts in the theatrical vein, which are a delight to behold.)

As if it did not give offense enough to cast aside the earlier work, with its many advantages, the newer version casts Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth. A man of such pleasant countenance as might have never known a single spray of salt nor an hour's bright sun!

Good heavens! I cannot think what the world is coming to. It puts me quite out of heart.

No comments: