Friday, November 17, 2006

It's the Little Things

Why don't we give more respect to the actors who read audiobooks? A great performance can save a mediocre audiobook--and a mediocre performance can damn an otherwise fantastic audiobook.

I just finished Carl Hiaasen's "Skinny Dip," and through its 13+ hours, Stephen Hoye never wavered. Men, women, young, old, educated, backwoods and every where in between, he nailed them all. Could Meryl Streep do as well? I doubt it.

My hat's off to you, Mr. Hoye, for a job well done!

(Honorable mention goes to Frank Muller, who did an equally good job with "Tishomingo Blues." I don't usually laugh out loud at Elmore Leonard, but thanks to Mr. Muller's hard work, I did.)

P.S. If you own an iPod, you have to check out www.audible.com's incredibly easy-to-use library of back episodes of "Fresh Air" and the like.

No comments: