Friday, November 30, 2007

Design Flaw

As a Special Treat, I went up to the Trifecta of Starbucks around the corner from #403. (No joke -- two Starbucks and a 'Bucksian counter inside a grocery store, all on a single city block.) Ordered my usual grande non-fat latte, set to work.

A little while later, a young miss comes by with wee shots of something she calls "Eggnog Frappucinos." A delightful little cup of frothy goodness, with a tiny straw, a whiff of whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg. Lovely!

Yesterday, seeking to give myself another Special Treat, I went to another Starbucks (not in the Trifecta, but one of two on the Third Street Promenade, three if you count the Hear Music store, four if you count the Seattle's Best inside the Borders.) I purchased a tall eggnog frappucino. First sip: Yum. Second sip: Mmm, noggy. Third sip: Maybe needs a little nutmeg.

Then: An inescapable chemical tang filled my mouth. That was the end of the eggnog frappucino.

My mind is blown. I ordered a drink that, conservatively, packs around 400 calories into a 12 oz serving. You'd think all that fat and sugary goodness would, at minimum, hide any repellent aftertaste. Best case scenario: You wouldn't need to add anything that might produce such an aftertaste. But no. You would be wrong.

No comments: