Sunday, November 18, 2007

Voices in My Head

It's been a while since I've gotten notes that I completely disagreed with. It happens sometimes that you stumble upon a professor who's never seen any of the ten or twenty films that made you want to be a writer. And of course, there's no way to control who else in your workshop.

(Rumor has it that some screenwriting programs have tried in the past to accomodate students' requests for certain professors and it quickly descends into backstabbing and gossip.)

Back in the day, when I'd get a note that would melt my brain, I'd hear this Golem voice in my head, shrieking "Shut up! Shut up! You don't know anything about my script, you idiot!" Maybe a little note of Ren/Peter Lorre in there as well.

Now, and I really enjoy this, I am struggling to finish my final assignment (the one I need to complete to earn my MFA) and what do you know? My little brain buddy is back.

Here, without exaggeration, is what he said to me ten minutes ago:

"Nooooo! You call that a scene! Agh! This is rubbish! Rubbish I tell you! Let's call it a day and go drink tequila out of a commuter mug."

No comments: