Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nap Time Yet?

Nikki Finke mentioned last week that USC students were using the picket lines to network "inappropriately," and I guess the LA Times is doing a story on picket line dos & don'ts, with lots of juicy stories of visiting pickets bringing their screenplays.

It would be a lot of fun to point and laugh at the clueless outsiders who think this strike is a great chance for them to break in, but as far as I can tell, these references to bad picket line behavior have no basis in fact.

I've seen my ballsiest classmate in action, and she's a model of tact and charm in motion. She spots someone, smiles, and then compliments them on something of theirs she's seen. (My God! The bloody cheek of some people! Complimenting a writer on his work!)

Meanwhile, on the line I usually visit, the writers have blown me away with their friendly welcome and encouraging offers to answer questions or introduce me around. And since I started, I've seen people will even less experience than me -- out right fans, even -- show up, do some laps, take a picture and get nothing but big smiles and thanks from the writers. Jane Espenson and John August have both mentioned on their blogs that their readers are welcome to stop by and say hi -- and they mean it!

It would be a great story if all these successful people, walking back and forth in the hot sun, turned out to be jerks, or if their supporters turned out to be self-interested boobs. But unless there's some insane hijinks at another location (CBS Radford! I'm looking at you!), I suspect it's a figment of Nikki Finke's imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.